First day of school to be Aug. 18
The first day of school will be Aug. 18. Thanksgiving holiday will be Nov. 24- 28, and winter break for students will be Dec. 22 through Jan. 3. (R-7 staff members will return to work Jan. 3 although students will not be in attendance on this day.) Spring break for students is scheduled for March 11 through 20 for students with March 11 designated as a teacher work day.
The last day of school, pending make-up days due to inclement weather, will be May 19, an early-release day. Any 2010-11 snow days will be made up beginning with May 20.
The 2010-11 calendar is slightly different from R-7 calendars of recent years in terms of early-release days. The 2010-11 calendar includes fewer early-release days, and the amount of time students spend in school on early-release days has been extended. Early-release days will be four hours and 30 minutes for elementary schools and four hours and 25 minutes for middle and high schools. In past years, early-release days have been three hours. Lunch will be served on all early-release days at all R-7 elementary schools in 2010-11, which is a change from previous years. Lunch will not be served at middle schools and high schools due to the earlier release time.
The elimination of several early-release days has been welcomed by a number of R-7 parents. Teachers will continue to have opportunities for training through the addition of several full days designated for staff development, teacher work days and collaboration among co-workers. Research shows that this type of structured time for both training and collaboration helps schools be more successful and enhances student achievement.
The 2010-11 calendar includes a total of five early-release days and six full days designated for teacher training, collaboration or work days. Students will not attend on these six full days or in the afternoon on early-release days. The number of school hours for R-7 students will be almost identical to 2009-10 with students attending 1,096 hours in 2009-10 and 1,090 hours in 2010-11.
The early-release times will change for all schools with longer school sessions on these half days.
The new elementary-school early-release schedule follows:
- 9 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. for Cedar Creek, Lee’s Summit, Longview Farm, Summit Pointe, Sunset Valley, Trailridge, Underwood and Woodland.
- 8:20 a.m. to 12:50 p.m. for Greenwood, Hawthorn Hill, Highland Park, Meadow Lane, Prairie View and Richardson.
- 8:55 a.m. to 1:25 p.m. for Hazel Grove, Mason, Pleasant Lea and Westview Elementary Schools
- 7:30 a.m. to 11:55 a.m. for Summit Lakes Middle School
- 7:45 a.m. to 12:10 p.m. for Bernard Campbell Middle School
- 7:50 a.m. to 12:15 p.m. for Pleasant Lea Middle School
- 7:30 a.m. to 11:55 a.m. for Lee’s Summit West High School
- 7:35 a.m. to noon for both Lee’s Summit High School and Lee’s Summit North High School.
Start and end times for all schools on both regular and early-release days are available on the R-7 website at www.leesummit.k12.mo.us and then select “2010-2011 School Calendar” near the top of the web page.